Wednesday, June 24, 2009

God Bless the American Housewife!


I just could not believe what I was hearing! I could not get to a pen and paper fast enough to write it down. It was four in the morning and I was getting ready for work. My habit is to turn on the chat radio shows to see what people are talking about. Usually, at that hour, you will find the variety of uber conservative types , that I have never heard of, that they run in the hours when there is usually no one up and not too many folks listening.....at least this is what I believe. Maybe these people have huge legions of fans and a gigantic fan base. If that is the caes then I am very afraid!!

The chat host was a woman, and I do not recall hearing her name, but she sounded somewhat youthful. I know you can not tell much from an anonymous voice, but she did not sound elderly. She was in the middfdle of a discussion when I turned her on, but it was the closing comment before commercial that cuaght my attention most. She ended with, "God bless the American housewife". Are you kidding me??

The "idea" of the traditional housewife has been dead for years! If not largely at least it is in my mind and with the people that I associate. In a time when both people in the home, not to mention those without a partner, must work I find it appalling that there are those who either yearn for the 1950's ideal of a "stay-at-home" mom type. It just can not be done. Unless the other income is so good that the woman does not need to work there is no choice these days. There are usually two cars to pay for and kids crap is not cheap. The time of the wife at home cooking dinner is long gone. Granted they still may try and enforce it in the extreme Christian home, but generally speaking the family dinner time has become a thing of the past.

When Max was small I tried to have that sort of dinner, but as he got older and more involved in other activities and John and I had different types of jobs and schedules it became more difficult and even more stressful to cook and eat a meal. It was much easier to throw in a Stouffers Lasagna and talk while we all watched a movie together.

Sometimes when I listen to these conservative chat people talk about the need for mom's to stay home and raise the kids it makes me want to scream. Their target audience might make enough for that to happen, but what about for the rest of the population that has to struggle to make ends meet and have to have multiple incomes? What about God bless the single wage earners, or multiple earners, who are trying to pay for basic living?

They always complain about how the liberals always pick on them, but it seems to me as if they are still living, or want to live, in the Father Knows Best era. Mom/wife in a dress with an apron and pearls when dad gets home from the office and she hands him the pipe and a martini!!

Also, they always have to bring God into it as well. They love to hearken back to how a good, God fearing, Christian woman/family lifestyle is the best for the country and this time in which we live. Yuck!! Obliviously ignorant of the fact that there are plenty of good women out there, raising kids and families that are neither God fearing or Christian.

No comments: