Sunday, February 04, 2007

Rural America & Girls Gone Wild





















The report from the University of New Hampshire's Carsey Institute does not come as any surprise to me. The study titled," U.S. Rural Soldiers Account for a Disproportionately High Share of casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan". You can read the study, as a PDF file, by clicking the link at the end of the article over at CBS news.

It doesn't tell you anything that you did not already surmise. That youth in the more rural parts of the U.S. find no other options than joining the military. Having taught in a county that has many rural school districts I was able to see first hand the number of kids that would not even make it to a trade school and saw the military as their only way out. They would often contact our school to see if the recruiters could come in and talk to our kids. They knew where the demographics were. Not that the military is a bad thing, but they seem to seek out those with lesser means and it is obvious and this study backs that up.

Yesterday as I was having a day off cup of coffee, at the coffee mega giant, I opened a local paper and saw a face I recognized on the front page. A former student was just killed in Iraq. Matt Conte a 22 year old kid from Streetsboro, Ohio. He was a Navy medic asigned to a Marine unit. It is very sad. A very handsome young man that had great art abilities. A fellow teacher and I plan to attend the calling hours as soon as they are announced.

Now, it is getting closer and more personal.

Newsweek coined an excellent word,"prosti-tot", to describe the VERY young girls that like to follow the antics of Paris, Britney & Lindsey. If I were the parent of a 7 year old girl, I know that it would be hard, but I would not even allow any of them to be idolized!! I used to waitress with 20 something girls that thought that Paris was soooo cool and wanted to be her!! I could see that from my gay hairdresser, but what are they thinking!!?? Where did it ever become the norm for Paris to be a role model? I know she doesn't want to be or never said that she was, but why do they think she is so cool? Is it that they hate underwear?

Just saw the local on the 8's from the Weather Channel and it is 0 here and the windchill is -12. I just put out the birdseed for the birds and squirrels. As cold as it has been they have been here in droves to feast. If we did not have this party tonight it would be a good night to stay in and watch movies.

No comments: