Saturday, March 14, 2009

CNBC Smackdown

It is no secret that I am a huge fan of the Daily Show and Jon Stewart. I have been watching for days as the stories and arguments grew about him and CNBC's Cramer. I was fortunate enough to actually watch the entire episode that Stewart devoted to interviewing Cramer. Instead of his usual funny news packed show we got an entire show that talked about the economy and how it should be presented.

It seems that even the White House took the time to catch the episode. I guess the economy is something that everyone is sitting up and taking notice about!! Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said that he "enjoyed it thoroughly". CNN even announced Stewart as the "winner" of the engagement.

If you have not had the opportunity to see this exchange you might want to try and find it on the net. I have to admit that I did not ever see Stewart as a tough questioner or as a serious journalistic force. After watching him question and pound Cramer I stand in awe. I respect that he is not only quite knowledgeable, but also very serious about the crap that is going on with the economy and the fact that people have questions.

Kudos to Stewart for taking the time to use his show as a vehicle to get this crap noticed. I know that ratings and the like are also involved, but I admire the man for changing the format of the show for the evening to really get into the meat of the financial matter and for taking this guy to task!


No comments: