Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust


The other shoe is still falling. So is the ax. In the district that I work in all, but one, of the assistant managers were told that they could either be fired/let go or take a demotion and keep their job. This affects me in several ways.

1. The girl that is our asst. mgr. is also a friend. Someone that I really like and enjoy working with. We spend time together outside of work.

2. If she decides to leave then I will pick up most of her hours since I have the most seniority in my position. That would give me good hours, near 40 a week, and I would not have to get a part time job. I would also not have to worry about having enough hours every quarter to keep my health benefits.

3. If she stays, and takes the demotion, we will be on the same level and this is where it gets sticky. She will need hours and then the rest will trickle down to the rest of us. She will, obviously top my seniority, and I will have just enough. Then I will have to get that part time job. Our GM is trying to set up a meeting so she and I and the other supervisor in line after me can discuss what we would be willing to give up, in hours, and what we would need.

I am conflicted. I do not relish the idea of working another job, at night, after working all day, especially after serving the public all day!! I will do what I have to do, but I was, and am, kind of hoping that she might take the severance package. Is that bad of me? Especially since I like her so much, or is this what this economic situation has brought us to? Dog eat dog.

More and more of us have become so disillusioned with this company. I know that many of them are letting people go and it is quite common right now, so I am no different than others. Of course it is always different when it is happening to you.

I guess I am going to get my mind set straight and plan to look and see what I can find that might be part time. Obama said that this year was going to be a bad year. It's only February and I am not liking it very much.

No comments: