Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I Am a Mermaid


"Well, where DO the Mermaids stand? All the "Mermaids"--all those who are different, who do not fit the norm and who do not accept the available boxes and pigeonholes?"

Robert Fulghum, from the article, " Mermaids".

Lately I have been wondering many things about myself. I have been coming close to my class reunion and that has sparked a few random thoughts. Like, why don't I look and dress more like the other women/girls that I graduated with, or why don't I look more like the moms of the girls that I work with? Why do I listen to music that is out of touch with where most of them are and what they listen to?

This whole reunion things has me asking myself why I am not more like them as if it makes me less grown up.

I have seen a few of them on Facebook and they remind me of bank tellers or even the stereotypical school teacher. They have their smart little wedge or short hair cuts, sweater sets with matching Keds sneakers and "mom jeans". This never used to phase me, but now, as I approach the 30th reunion, I am wondering why .......

I loved the fact that I am still so unconventional and quirky. That I only wear clothing in black, white and a bit of red. It has sure made dressing easier! That my musical interests span a wide array of styles and bands with names like the Sick Puppies.

I used to yearn to "fit in". Maybe that was another reason why I "church shopped". because I thought that in order to fit in I also had to have the traditional belief system like the rest of them.

As I read this article today, about the mermaid it made me realize how lucky I am to be unique and not fit into any hole or anyone's idea of who I am , or should be, and what I should be doing with my life. I can not tell you how many people have berated me for not going back out and getting a teaching job! I have stopped trying to explain myself and justify what I am doing.

For those of us who are mermaids I say that it feels good to swim against the current and I like it!!

No comments: