Saturday, July 11, 2009

Camp Pics & Stories







Great weekend camping. Even though a big storm came through, and we came home early, there was still enough fun , relaxation, drinking and trail hiking to make it all worth setting up tents and getting fire wood.

It was quite warm Friday and Sue & I got there early to set up tents and wait for the rest of the group to arrive. I had brought along a nice chilled Pinot Grigio, a very good hot weather summer white, and she had vodka and something. between setting up tents and playing with poles and rain flys we would sit down and have some more beverage. I was sweating like crazy!! It was hot and humid.

Once we were all there we sat and talked while I was chopping peppers, red & yellow, along with onions to put in the foil meal with chicken, kielbasa and various seasoning. Sue had brought a large quantity of potatoes already wrapped and seasoned in foil. I put the five pound bag of charcoal into the fire pit and we sat to talk and drink some more while waiting for the fire to be ready.

An important lesson was to be learned at this point. I now know why drinking was not an option when I was with the Boy Scouts. You simply can not cook a decent meal when intoxicated!! The potatoes fell apart and we could not save them from the fire. The chicken foil meals were a mess! The chicken was burnt so black that we were able to get maybe two bites out of the centers and the sausage was more like small charcoal briquettes. Lucky for us that we were all smashed and laughed until we all cried.....then we went to the snack box and made it do for dinner.

About midnight I simply was done. I had finished my wine and was ready for serious sleep. I guess they all sat up a bit longer and my friend Vince took a night hike until three in the morning and then went to bed.


I was up first and knew I had to get some water on to make coffee! I brought my French Press and a really good coffee. If you have never had a press let me tell you that it is an excellent way to have your cup 'a Joe. The flavor is the best and it also will kick your caffeination butt!! There were still hot coals in the fire ring so I just got it going again and put the pot of water on to boil. Sue brought some Starbucks cups to use. They have a Bux in the hospital where she works. Just the ticket, along with some almond cookies, to take off the hangover edge!!

Then Vince and I hit a few trails before the storm arrived. How I love walking through the woods. Surrounded by all the green. The trees, the moss, the ferns....I could have gone for miles! We finally had some time to discuss various topics such as cap and trade, the Obama and military smoking debacle, as well as a book that he going to give me to read about the secret societies/religion/Catholic church/Freemasons and the beginnings of man and this country. I can not remember the title, but he says that it is a fascinating read! I am looking forward to reading it. Vince was a political science major so he really knows his stuff, but we rarely have time to talk at work except for a few snippets here and there.

Now I am home and already looking forward to an August weekend. John will be laid off by then and we'll be able to take the dog. It is just too much for me to do without him along. It was amazing how much mental cleansing just that short time was able to give me. I know that I will be able to carry that with me for at least several days now!!



No comments: