Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Good v. Evil


If we believe, as Bill O'Reilly would have us believe, there are only two types of people in this world. The "Dark Side" and the "Good Side". As if it were as simple as the world of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. It might be in his action figure filled world, and it seems, his newest book as well.

His newest tome is one that states that there are only two divisions of people. "Secular progressives" and "Traditionalists". Mr. O'Reilly offends me often and in so many ways, but let me just enumerate a few. Especially as I am sipping a nice blend of red wines, Menage a Trois, a California Red Table Wine. A blend of Zin, Cab and Merlot. Since it is from California that probably puts me in the category of secular traditionalist right away!! I am also having some bbq chicken pizza with red onion. YUM!!

Anyway, back on track, I may consider myself a "progressive", but not radically so. I am liberal in many of my views, but I am also a christian person and therefore am offened by his notion that I am a secularist type. He asserts that to be progressive means that we have gloven hooves and horns!! For cryin' out loud. I am tired of being blamed for everything that is wrong with this country. Once againb, who made Mr. O'Reilly and his ilk the "moral gatekeepers" of society?

I agree that there is a culture war in this country, but not the way he sees it. College is becoming something only the elite can afford. The gap between the "haves" and " have nots" is getting widder and widder. Hasn't he read about the growing numbers of uninsured in this country? Not to mention the numbers that are losing their homes to sheriff sales? The middle classes can no longer even afford to own their own homes. That is a culture war. A "let them eat cake" society if you will.

He states, in his book, that "his side" believes that the United States was well founded by the founding fathers. I agree. I have no argument with the founding fathers or the way this country was founded. I love history and the history of this country. He makes it out to sound like there is a particular camp that would find fault with our very beginnings!! Granted, there are all kinds in this world, but I can not believe that he would find too many that would argue the merits of those who wrote and signed the Declaration of Independence.

He goes on to further discuss his degree and getting his masters. I am very happy that he was able to do so, but as I stated before college is becoming a thing that only those with the means can afford. When I graduated, in 1999, I was thrilled and now, 7 years later can not afford to even attempt to get my masters due to the high cost of college. To take one 3 hour course is about $1,000.00. I am STILL paying back my first education and I will probably only finish in time to TRY and send my son.

O'Reilly likes to talk as if he has his finger on the pulse of the people. In reality he likes to keep things stired up and stired up in a very negative way. It keeps his book selling and the ratings up on his show. Controversy is a seller!! People like to stop by and see what all the comotion is about. It is not something that he wrote for the betterment or improvement of humanity, but just something else to draw divisive lines and keep the societal groups seperated. He is a divider, not a uniter. He certainly belongs with the "decider".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O'Lielly is a tool.

Of course, I'm a godless liberal, so what do I know?

Mixter