Tuesday, January 27, 2009

And They Called it Puppy Love

.
Looks like we are going to get a new puppy. I had plans, when Max left for the Navy, but this option came up sooner than expected and how could anyone resist that little mug!!

I was looking for a puppy that we could train ourselves. Burt, the Beagle, was an older adult dog when we got him from the APL and we haven't had a puppy in 10 years, but with so much new time on my hands and no kid to raise I think I want something that I can dress up in baby clothes and carry around as my new baby! Yes, I am losing my mind.

This little fella is coming to us with
recommendations , from our vet, courtesy of a local rescue called Roses Rescue. So I feel good about using them. He is a Shepard-Hound mix and it looks like we are going to name him Baxter.

Casey, our Golden, is about the same age as our oldest dog was when we got her as a pup. We have also always had very good luck with the male/female combo. We have friends that have more than one dog and they are all males and their home is a madhouse of barking male dogs striving to be the alpha male and too rowdy and crazy for me. We have always had a nice mix and everyone gets along quite nicely when you do the male/female combo.

I have to call the foster mom and arrange a pick-up date. It may not be until next week due to a major winter storm that we are supposed to be getting tonight in to tomorrow. Since we will be potty training ourselves there is a lower cost than if we let them do it and wait to get him, but I have nothing but time now and what else to do. One can only blog and drink so much and the you need to find something else to occupy your time!! :-D

Yesterday was Max's last official day of high school. Wow. I can not believe that I have a kid that old. Today he will go and see his Naval guys and get some idea of how soon he will be leaving. Time to stock up on tissues and get a puppy.

No comments: