Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Classic Rock



This morning, before school, Max had VH 1 Classic on the television. I was having coffee and reading blogs and then I heard music that stirred something in me. " I know that song", I said. I went in to look at the screen to see that he had VH1 Classics on and they were playing the Psychedelic Furs "Pretty in Pink". Wow, how I used to love that band. I came back in to the computer and then the next song, same thing, I knew the band this time, Thompson Twins and the song was "Doctor, Doctor". "Wow", I said,"This is awesome stuff from the 80's". Then I thought about what I had said and what was happening here.

The 80's music is now considered "classic rock". Wow. Hard to believe. When I think of classic rock I think of Freebird and Stairway to Heaven. The 80's were my hard clubbing, dance and party the night away days, or should I say DAZE!! The best part of the punk rock and New Wave scene where bands like Suzie and the Banshees, The Clash, Dead Kennedys were all the cool club rage. John Hughes was putting great music into all his movies. The Pretty in Pink soundtrack is fantastic 80's fare as is the Lost Boys soundtrack.

I guess to kids Max's age the 1980's would be considered a classic rock era. My god, it is 20+ years ago!! If you look around you will notice that all the plastic jewelry, 80's style, is coming back. Some days, when I am working at the coffee mega giant, I will tie my hair up with a black lacy scarf and wear big bangle earrings. My hairdresser came in and called me Madonna! I told him that I was single-handed trying to bring back the 80's!

If you look around in the stores you can see the jelly-type shoes are back in along with some more modern style flip-flops made out of the same material. It probably won't be too long before we see the leg warmers and Swatch watches back in vogue.

Everything old is new again and the next generation feels as if they just discovered it. Walk into a Claires, at the mall, it looks and feels like you just walked back into the 1980's. Except without Doc Brown and Marty!!

No comments: